Monday, August 5, 2013

Learning about London

In the past few days, I have tried to get to know London better, mainly through food.  Here are some pictures of my explorations:

Sun Chips are Sun Bites (and are awesome)

Chocolate covered cookies need better names:


This yogurt flavor exists:

There are tons of neighborhoods where there are just rows of white houses:


Even their malls have very elaborate carvings and statues in front:


Kensington Gardens, the huge park that I walk through to lab every day, has a lot of interesting landmarks, but is mostly flat grassland:







Next adventure:
I decided to attend the BBC Proms on Monday night, since my work hasn't really begun yet.  The Proms is an 8 week summer season of daily classical music concerts and other events (like pop concerts) that started back in 1895.  Apparently a neat thing to do is called "promming", where you stand in line the day of the concert and you buy tickets for £5.00 and stand instead of sit for 2 hours.  I started lining up at 4:45pm (the concert started at 7:30...)



 It started raining, what a surprise:


This place is very historic, Verdi conducted here!



 The concert hall is very grand, and the arena standing area is literally next to the stage:










 Bring out the piano and the final ovation:



For the curious, the program was:
  • Borodin

    • Prince Igor (24 mins)
      overture; Polovtsian Dances
  • Prokofiev

    • Piano Concerto No. 2 in G minor (32 mins)
  • INTERVAL (People around me sat down and starting drinking beer and eating roast chicken and ice cream, a very classy picnic.)
  • Edward Cowie

    • Earth Music I – The Great Barrier Reef (c9 mins)
      BBC Commission, World Premiere
  • Tchaikovsky

    • Symphony No. 2 in C minor, 'Little Russian' (35 mins)
  • Jean-Efflam Bavouzet piano
  • BBC Philharmonic
  • Gianandrea Noseda conductor

Going to the Proms was definitely on my wishlist coming to London, so I am very glad I got the experience, though standing the entire time was quite painful. 

Next time, a tour of Imperial College!

1 comment:

  1. What a treat!
    Prince Igor is one of my favorite piece.
    Try to move your hip backwards, alternating with tightening your gluteal muscles, can ease your lower back pain strain.

    ReplyDelete