Sunday, August 11, 2013

London by Foot

This Sunday I went on a walk of London, trying to hit as many famous landmarks as I can.  I started walking after lunch from the McDonald's at Notting Hill Gate through Hyde Park to Buckingham Palace.

I walked along The Serpentine, the lake running through Hyde Park.  It was definitely one of the best summer days in London!





This is the biggest freaking swan I have ever seen.  The camera doesn't do it justice, but look at it compared to the boat in the picture above.


Finally reaching the end of the park, I am inundated with exquisite statues and arches:




Elaborate arch leading to Buckingham, with a closeup of the gate doors:


Buckingham Palace:





 Sad guard standing watch in the heat:



The front gates:



Tiny guards on patrol:


The Palace and statue from the front:





After Buckingham Palace, I walked through St. James's Park.  Lots of people and ducks about, enjoying the day:


 Walking to Trafalgar Square:


 The Square itself. The stone lions are pretty massive (compare to the guy riding it on the right):


 The National Gallery, a classical art museum, is directly in front:


From the National Gallery:



I stayed a while at the National Gallery, which had a huge collection of famous classical art from all of Europe.  In the interest of not spamming hundreds of photos, here are just a few highlights.  I did not take pictures of the Da Vinci, since they did not allow that.

Picasso and Van Gogh:


 Crazy Dutch House Illusion:



Walking down Whitehall Road:


 Downing Street, home of the Prime Minister!  You can sort of see the house...


\
 Big Ben:




 The London Eye and the Thames River:



 House of Parliament:



Unfortunately, Westminster Abbey is closed on Sundays for service:



 Saddened by not being able to see famous dead people, I decided to visit the Churchill Museum on King Charles Street:




Unfortunately, tickets to this museum are £17.00 (which is a little higher than my budget of £0.00).

 Luckily, I heard that the London Chinatown wasn't too far, and craving some Asian food, I headed there via St. James's Park and Trafalgar Square:


 The small alleyways of Chinatown:

My first trial food is an egg tart from Chinatown Bakery:

 Rating: 2.5/5   Expensive and average, the crust is not very flaky and the egg filling is of the wrong consistency and taste.

If you're curious, my top two egg tart places are:
Golden Gate Bakery, San Francisco (Rating: 5/5)
Lord Stow's Bakery, Macau (Rating: 4.75/5)

Second trial food is Taiwanese boba at Chatime:


Rating: 3/5  The consistency of the boba is decent, and the tea taste is fine (a little sweet on a half-sugar order), but there not much choice in the menu compared to many other places.  Overall beverage is average.

If you're curious, my top two boba places are:
Half & Half Tea House, San Gabriel (Rating: 4.8/5)
Factory Tea Bar, San Gabriel (Rating 4.25/5)

After that, it was back to Notting Hill gate.  Here is a map of my circuitous journey.  The blue is my walking route, and the red is my subway route back.  Quite a distance!


My route for the main attractions.  Yes, it is very inefficient.

Next time, a small tour of the British Museum.

2 comments:

  1. A beautiful summer day! You walked 9.8 miles?
    Nice pictures to see London from a pair of fresh eyes.
    The Abby is worth more than a couple of hours visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Grant's Mom using his account...
    Nice pictures showing the major attractions in London. Interesting captions!

    ReplyDelete